Popular British store Marks & Spencer has shared its recipe for churros with a blueberry and vanilla compôte. The recipe serves six and pairs the traditional Spanish churros with a not-so-traditional dipping sauce.
If you can’t get enough of baking at home, head here www.timeoutdubai.com/topics/recipes for more sweet recipes to try out at home.
Ingredients for the blueberry and vanilla compôte:
• 1 vanilla pod
• 200g blueberries
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 1 squeeze lemon juice
Ingredients for the churros:
• ½ orange
• 3 large eggs
• Sunflower oil
• Caster sugar
• 175g plain flour
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• 100g unsalted butter
• Start off by prepping your ingredients. Split the vanilla pods lengthways, zest the orange, beat the eggs and dice the unsalted butter.
• To make the blueberry and vanilla compôte, put all the ingredients in a medium pan and heat gently until the blueberries soften. Set aside for five minutes, then remove and discard the vanilla pod, and transfer to a serving dish.
• To make the churros, sift together the flour and baking powder.
• Put the butter in a pan with just under 35ml of cold water per serving (e.g. for six servings use just under 210ml) and a pinch of salt.
• Cook over a medium heat until the butter melts, then bring to the boil.
• Remove from the heat and add the flour. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
• Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool for two minutes.
• Gradually beat in the eggs until smooth.
• Stir in the orange zest, cover the bowl and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
• Pour enough oil into a large saucepan until one-third full. Place over a medium heat until the oil reaches 180°C.
• Spoon the batter into a piping bag fitted with a large star-shaped nozzle.
• Pipe two or three finger-length pieces directly into the oil, snipping off each with scissors. Cook for about 45 seconds each side, until golden.
• Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with sugar.
• Repeat until all the batter is used.
• Serve the churros together with the compôte and enjoy.
Can’t get enough of channelling your inner Mary Berry at home? We have loads more dessert recipes to try out, here.