With all that’s going on in the world, sometimes you just need a big bowl of comforting chicken katsu curry.
And luckily for you, Asian restaurant chain wagamama has shared the recipe for what is undoubtedly it's most popular dish: the glorious chicken katsu curry.
Japanese-style breaded-and-fried chicken, fluffy rice and that lip-smackingly delicious katsu sauce accompaniment. Nom.
If you’re looking to whip up a fakeaway at home this weekend and replicate wagamama’s world-famous katsu curry at home, read on.
The recipe serves two but if you’re anything like us, sharing is not on the cards with this fragrant dish.
For the sauce:
• 2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 2.5cm piece of ginger, peeled and grated
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 2 heaped tbsp mild curry powder
• 1 tbsp plain flour
• 300ml chicken or vegetable stock
• 100ml coconut milk
• 1 tsp light soy sauce
• 1 tsp sugar, to taste
For the dish:
• 120g rice (any rice will do)
• 1 quantity katsu curry sauce
• 2 skinless chicken breasts
• 50g plain flour
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 100g panko breadcrumbs
• 75ml vegetable oil, for deep-frying
• 40g mixed salad leaves
• Start by softening the onion, garlic and ginger in a pan over a medium heat, then add the curry powder and turmeric.
• Cook down the mixture so the flavours release and then add flour to thicken the sauce and cook it for about a minute or so on a low to medium heat.
• Add the chicken stock and slowly stir it into the pan.
• Then slowly add as much or as little coconut milk as you want to the pan (the more you use, the creamier the sauce will be).
• Add the sugar and soy sauce, and leave it on a low heat.
• Cut the chicken fillets in half and coat it in flour.
• Drop the chicken fillets into beaten egg, and then cover it in panko breadcrumbs.
• In a pan add some oil and fry your chicken fillets until cooked thoroughly and golden on the outside.
• Pass the curry sauce through a sieve so it's extra smooth.
• Now it’s time to layout your katsu curry. Add cooked rice of your choice to the plate, and slice and serve up your chicken.
• Dress the plate with salad and dollop on as much curry sauce as you want.
Looking for more fakeaways to try out at home? Click here for more recipes to try.