PizzaExpress fans in the UAE – this recipe is for you.
The pizza chain’s founders have kept their lips sealed for more than 50 years, but it would seem the state of the world is making us all do some pretty wild things right now.
PizzaExpress has just decided to release its top-secret recipe for its – let’s face it – iconic dough balls, so that you can attempt to recreate their squidgy magic at home.
Sure, you might have to break a sweat to enjoy them, but maybe it’ll make the pillowy wonders that keep us returning (nobody’s going to PizzaExpress just for the pizza, are they?) all the more delicious.
The recipe includes details on the exact temperature of water you need, such is this culinary wonder’s scientific precision.
PizzaExpress has also released the formula for that all-important garlic butter, so you can impress family with a platter of dough balls to share along with the dreamily pungent sidekick.
Read on for the ingredients and method to make PizzaExpress dough balls at home.
Ingredients for the dough balls (makes two portions):
• 150ml warm water – roughly 27°C
• 1 teaspoons sugar
• 15g fresh yeast (or two level teaspoons of dry yeast)
• 225g of plain flour (plus extra for working)
• 1.5 teaspoons of salt
• Extra virgin olive oil
• Preheat the oven to 230°C (210°C fan assisted).
• Add the sugar and crumble the fresh yeast into the warm water. Allow the mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes in a warm place until froth develops on the surface.
• Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and pour in the yeast mixture.
• Lightly flour your hands and slowly mix the ingredients together until they bind.
• Generously dust your surface with flour, throw down the dough and begin kneading for 10 minutes until smooth, silky and soft. Leave the dough to rest until soft to the touch but not too springy.
• Roll dough into a 1.2m long tube. Chop into 16 chunks and place in an ovenproof pan. Leave the dough balls to rest in the pan for 30 minutes.
• Make sure the oven has reached temperature and bake for six minutes until golden.
Ingredients for garlic butter:
• 10ml extra virgin olive oil
• 4 teaspoons of butter
• 1/2 teaspoon of chopped garlic
• Blend the olive oil and chopped garlic into a paste. Pour over the butter and blend with a spoon.
Et voilà. You’ll be a baller in the kitchen in no time.
If you’re looking for more tasty recipes, look no further. We have loads of delicious recipes for you to whip up at home, here.