If you picture Abu Dhabi in your mind, more often than not, the image of the stunning Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque will feature.
The landmark has been capturing the imagination and drawing residents and visitors along to see the stunning details, craftsmanship and scenery ever since it opened in 2007, and to worship, of course.
It’s not just residents who love to visit either as it has made third place in TripAdvisor’s Traveller’s Choice Awards 2019, in the Top Landmarks in the World category.
The awards considered a total of 750 landmarks from around the world in 68 different countries.
TripAdvisor says: "Grand is an understatement. The architecture, the white marble and the beautifully maintained green gardens are stunning.”
The Abu Dhabi mosque was named above globally renowned tourist spots including the Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Tower of London, Acropolis, the Great Wall of China, Sydney Opera House and Dubai’s Burj Khalifa.
The 2019 top ten includes:
• Angkor Wat, Siem Reap, Cambodia
• Plaza de Espana, Seville, Spain
• Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
• St. Peter's Basilica, Vatican City, Italy
• Mezquita Cathedral de Cordoba, Cordoba, Spain
• Taj Mahal, Agra, India
• Duomo di Milano, Milan, Italy
• Alcatraz Island, San Francisco, California
• Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco, California
• Hungarian Parliament Building, Budapest, Hungary