Picnic season in Abu Dhabi
Time to head to your local park, beach or nearest desert dune Discuss this article
• Five small Arabic bread rounds
• Tomato paste
• Crumbled feta or goat cheese
• Sliced, pitted olives
• Sliced mushrooms
• Fresh basil leaves
• Cut the bread rounds in half (semi circles) spread them lightly with tomato paste and fill them with the cheese, olives, mushrooms and a couple of fresh basil leaves. Don’t overfill them though – they should close easily.
• Seal the edges with a little olive oil and press them together. You can add a cocktail stick to ensure they stay closed. Then bake them in a medium oven for 10 minutes. Leave to cool and pack in the fridge in an air-tight container. Makes ten.
Cheese and turkey ham muffins
• 260g of plain flour
• 130ml milk
• 100g shredded cheddar cheese
• 2 eggs
• 3 tbsp vegetable oil
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 100g of chopped, smoked turkey ham
• Combine the flour, turkey ham, milk, cheddar cheese, eggs (already beaten), oil and baking powder. Mix until just blended, batter should be a little lumpy. Then fill a 12-cup muffin tray, making sure each cup is filled two thirds full of the mixture.
• Bake for 15-18 minutes in the centre of a preheated oven set at 175°C. When done, the muffins should look golden, and be springy to the touch. You can test they are done by sticking a cocktail stick into the centre of one muffin, it should come out clean. Make them the night before, leave them to cool and pack them in an airtight container. These are best eaten within 24 hours of being made. Makes 12.
Chicken and avocado wraps
• 6 large tortillas
• 4 grilled chicken breasts
• 3 tbsp mayonnaise
• 2 avocados, chopped
• Finely chopped local lettuce
• Finely chopped tomatoes
• Fresh black pepper to taste
• Chop the chicken breast into small chunks and combine it with the mayonnaise, avocado and a couple of grinds of black pepper. Place a generous dollop into the centre of a floured tortilla and distribute it evenly. Then add 1 tbsp of chopped tomatoes and a sprinkling of lettuce
• Roll the tortilla up tightly and slice it in half. Pack them into an airtight container and store them in the fridge. Best made the same day as the picnic. Makes 12.
Time Out Abu Dhabi,
Our favourite features
Best restaurants in Abu Dhabi revealed The winners of the Time Out Abu Dhabi Restaurant Awards are...
15 sensational Abu Dhabi hotel suites Dhs130,000 a night sure does buy a lot of luxury these days
50 best dishes in Abu Dhabi The finest foods we've eaten in Abu Dhabi in 2013
Ten global delicacies to try in Abu Dhabi Ten flavours from across the globe (and where you can eat them in Abu Dh...
12 top things to do with visitors in Abu Dhabi Entertain even the most demanding tourist with our expert guide
Christmas dinners in Abu Dhabi Turkey and all the trimmings at top Abu Dhabi restaurants
50 best moments at the Abu Dhabi F1 2013 All the highlights from the track to the clubs, and the gigs to the pits
8 to try: Morning pick-me-ups Ditch the coffee and kick-start your day with these energising foods and...
Eight hot new restaurants in Abu Dhabi Top eateries cutting their culinary teeth in the capital
The 13 quirkiest shops in the capital Our favourite alternative Abu Dhabi spots to browse and buy
Top six massages in Abu Dhabi Soothe your aches with our pick of massages and body treatments
15 wackeist things to do in Abu Dhabi From surfing in the desert to shopping at a gold vending machine